Friday 29 July 2016

Society and Beauty


I posted this photo this morning on my Instagram....I felt instantly compelled to apply filters to eradicate my imperfections, my flaws, the very things that make me, well me. 
The pressure to look flawless, perfect & 'beautiful' is taking away the very things that makes us unique and different. Our individuality is dissipating....slowly we are all becoming the same.
Don't get me wrong, filters are brilliant...I love them, I love experimenting and using them to enhance and get the very best out of my pictures. It's ok to tweak a picture, to take a selfie and enhance it. That's ok....but for me, I felt scared to post the 'real me' for fear of negativity. I forgot who I am, what makes me, me. My eyes are tired and have bags....but I should be proud of that, for that is down to pouring every bit of energy & love i have into my children and my partner, ensuring they're OK, fed and loved. My skin has imperfections, blemishes and scars from acne that decided to surface in my early twenties...I can't change them, they're here and are a part of me and my journey. 
 My partner didn't fall in love with a filtered version of me. He's seen me in the mornings, at my worst when I'm tired, frustrated and a complete emotional wreck. My children love their Mama....for however I look. 
 So while I enjoy playing with filters....I must remember to love the real me. I need to stop being scared of not looking or being perfect for society. I need to believe in my favourite notion that we are all beautiful....because we are. Beauty is skin deep.
So here is me trying to enjoy a morning coffee....tired eyes, blemishes the lot. This is the me I should love more. This is the me I shouldn't be frightened of and hide away 💜 

No comments:

Post a Comment